General instructions on how to make thickened liquid barium (of any type) using a barium powder:
- Determine the total volume of thickened liquid that you wish to prepare
- Total volume = 250 mL
- Calculate the amount of barium required for the given volume
- Given a desired barium concentration of 40% w/v
Target barium mass =
40g barium / 100mL of fluid x 250 mL fluid =
- Convert this mass of pure barium into mass of barium powder
- Given that EZ-HD is a barium mixture containing 98.45 g of barium per 100 g of powder
Target barium powder mass =
100g barium * (100g powder / 98.45g barium) =
- Place an empty container on a digital balance and zero the balance
- Pour in the mass of barium powder calculated into the container
- Add enough thickened liquid to reach the total volume as outlined in the first step
- Shake well and leave to stand in a refrigerator.
Note: Volume of barium powder is not provided here as not all barium powder labels provide the %w/v concentration which is required to make this conversion.